Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Notes that make a difference



My mom is all about etiquette.  I can remember her trying so hard to teach me which side of the plate the fork goes, and engraving into my head the importance of looking someone in the eye when I’m meeting them, and shaking their hand firmly.  Today, many of the things she taught me have become second nature, and although I still sometimes forget which side of the dinner plate I’m supposed to put the bread plate, for the most part I easily recall the manners she taught.

One of the best things that she taught me, when I was just barely old enough to write my own name was the importance of a thank you note.  I can remember sitting on the floor in our basement in Ohio, with a list of the family members I was supposed to write thank you notes to.  She had crafted a note that I could copy, complete with fill-in-the-blanks for me to add my own personalization, and I was not allowed to return back upstairs to play until all of my thank you notes were finished.  The notes were extremely simple, (3-4 lines at most!) but the truth that she taught through that mandate was one that has stuck with me.  Thank you notes are important.

Please know I’m not just talking about a “Thank you so much.  We loved it.  Love, Beth and Steve” note.  Thank you notes that talk about what it was that we appreciated, and why it was extra helpful/or a blessing.  My mom taught me that people don’t “owe” me anything.  They don’t owe me their time, energy, money, or anything else…. the truth is that I’m supposed to be serving others without expecting anything in return, so really, anything that we receive, is an incredible gift.  Why then, would I not express how grateful and appreciative I am for someone giving up his or her own time, energy, or money to bless me?

Please know I don’t claim to be perfect in my thank you note writing.  I can think back to many times where I’ve just gotten so busy that I haven’t had a chance to write them, or never even thought about doing so.  (That doesn’t make it okay, it’s just being honest.)  However, I understand the great importance of writing a simple note, and can work toward being more consistent in my appreciation toward others.
AND…you know that as soon as Caleb is big enough to hold a pen and scribble down his own name, I’ll be giving him “form notes” to copy and send out his own Thank you notes.  I plan to teach him the same lessons I learned years ago…maybe just minus the dark, cold, scary basement.  (Just kidding, mom!)

So here’s my challenge for you today.  Who do you need to thank?  Is there someone who donated their time or energy into your world with efforts of helping, serving, or just making your life easier?  Why don’t you take 5 minutes and write them a thank you note today!  It will make all the difference!  

No comments:

Post a Comment