Monday, October 31, 2011

I Thought The Sign Said 2.62 Miles…



The moment was tense and exciting as the crowd of people anxiously awaited the sound of the gun signifying the beginning of the race.  More than 500 people were bustling behind the Start Line ready to get out on the course and see all their hard work in training pay off.  I was one of them for the first time.  Ahead of me there was a man whose shirt read, “What!?!  I thought the sign said 2.62 Miles!”  Beside me was a retiree with another shirt that said, “Waffle House. I Run So I Can Eat.”  Young, old, tall, short, broad, and skinny – there was a collection of the most unimaginable people possible gathered in Greenville, SC to do one thing… Run a marathon.

This was my inaugural marathon experience.  I had been training since July for the last Saturday in October when the race was to occur.  A lot of good advice had come from friends about what to expect. Still, there was a sense of the unknown as I trotted out onto the racecourse and we all began together.  Weeks of training and 26.2 miles later here is what I learned.

1. Preparation is A Priority – Not more than a mile into the race a middle-aged man pealed off from the pack announcing, “Not today.”  Throughout the race, I saw a number of people who said the same thing in different ways.  Preparation in training is key to any large physical accomplishment.  Admittedly, I skimped on a few training days on my scheduled plan for vacation, visitors from out of town, or rainy mornings.  On those days I ran less than the required distance according to the guide I used.  On race day, I felt each and every missed day of training.  Preparation is more than a nice thought… It has to be a priority.

2. Hydration is Huge – On the day before the race we traveled to a location a little closer to the marathon site.  Since we were out of our element, I didn’t drink the amount fluids I should have consumed.  The morning of the race I drank a lot of water, but my body was not properly hydrated.  As a result, around mile 15 I experienced some major leg cramps.  Nothing in my training prepared me for the cramps.  I had not experienced them before.  For the final 10 miles of the race I struggled to run, walk, and limp through the tension in my legs.  In talking with other runners, I learned that a lack of hydration was the likely culprit.

3. Support Gives You A Surge – During the last mile I was hurting, badly.  The miles already run had left me physically exhausted.  The leg cramps had hurt my time and my pride.  Until mile 15 I maintained the exact pace I desired in order to finish with the time I had in mind.  When the cramps came, it added several minutes to my time.  Slowing down and getting passed by other runners can be demoralizing.  It was in that last mile that I saw my wife and little boy ahead.  My wife rolled the stroller out on the course and ran next to me (in boots) for a couple tenths of a mile.  Her words of support energized me and I surged toward the finish line.  Support is necessary for the training, the race, and the recovery.  Make sure you have it.

I could go on and on about the lessons that I learned through this experience.  However, I wanted to zero in on the above three points because I believe they hold value for anyone seeking to achieve some physical feat.  Preparation, Hydration, and Support have to be in the mix if you are seeking to complete your goal in any physical competition. 

Let me end with this thought… YOU can do it!  I was shocked at the variety of people who competed in and accomplished this marathon.  As I reflected back over the last couple of years, I was surprised to find myself out there with the crowd.  Maybe it isn’t a marathon, but there is something else that you would like to achieve for your health and fitness.  It is more possible than you might imagine.  Unless you have doctor’s orders not to, go for your goals!  They are within reach.  

2 comments:

  1. You will look back at this run as THE run that prepared better than any training run on a set schedule. How awesome that you comoleted ir at all. Always remember there are only three people racing. The rest of us are only runners who run for enjotment, the achieve a goal, to become a little more fit, or just challenge our own selves.

    I say hang your medal proudly for all to see. Great job.

    2GodBtheGlory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay, for all of your encouragement and "running wisdom" along the way! Your family is a blessing to us!

    ReplyDelete