Tuesday, October 25, 2011

He’s making a list…


He’s making a list.  He’s checking it twice!”  Surely you’ve heard the catchy tune about old St. Nick checking his list of presents for little boys and girls!  As I walked through the mall this past weekend, I was amazed at all of the Christmas décor already up!   We even purchased one of our Christmas gifts for family over the weekend, and upon doing so began the spiral into embracing the “Most Wonderful Time of the Year!”   This morning, I couldn’t help but chuckle when I thought of the financial truth Santa Clause teaches us through his sweet little song.

About a month ago, my husband surprised me by taking care of all of the details ahead of time, and whisking me away for a surprise overnight retreat in Atlanta to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary!  He had secured tickets to the Broadway Musical, “Wicked” which was conveniently playing at the Fox Theater, made reservations for an incredible restaurant for us to eat dinner at, and reserved us a room in a lovely hotel in downtown Atlanta!  5 years later…he’s still just as much of a romantic as ever!

The following week, I was at home balancing our checkbook, and noticed a charge on our credit card that was incorrect.  The hotel that we stayed at, charged us several different times, and because my husband cashed in our credit card points to pay for the room, I knew the charges were incorrect!  We called the hotel letting them know of the mistake, and after several days of watching the charge sit on our statement without movement (or a refund being credited!) I wrote a letter to the C.E.O.  Within hours I received an email back, asking for my phone number so that the hotel manager could contact me and remedy this terrible error.  After a brief conversation with the hotel manager all incorrect charges were refunded, and a certificate for a free-nights-stay was mailed out to us for use sometime in the future!  The charge was far from intentional in the first place, but this hotel went above and beyond to ensure our own satisfaction with their company and this particular hotel.  (To which we were most grateful, of course!)

Why do I share this story with you, you may ask?  Simple.  I share the story to remind you of the importance of balancing your checkbooks and checking your credit card statements.  Although this charge was incorrect, unless I would have noticed it and brought it to their attention, the hotel would have never refunded the charges. 

In our wonderful electronic-age, banks and other financial companies make it EASY to miss these kinds of errors.   We just get going and going, paying bills, buying groceries and spending away without realizing exactly where our money goes, and double checking to be sure that the correct charges have been taken out of our accounts.  We let the “automatic system” do it’s magic and errors are made by accident.  As the holiday season approaches, and swiping that “magic card” becomes more and more often, be sure you’re clutching those receipts and double-checking the charges on your statements when you get home.  No one is perfect and so mistakes are likely to be made.  I challenge you not to allow these mistakes to go unchecked in your accounts, however.  It’s time to start not only making your list, but “checking it twice.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment