Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Uncut Key



This past summer, I had an intern named Robbie.  He was a hard working college student who had a lot of potential and every intention of using his life to the fullest.  This made him one of the best interns I had ever overseen.  There was one curious thing about Robbie, however.  He wore a common house key on a string around his neck.  Either he was trying to start a strange new fashion trend or he often locked himself out.  I had to learn the mystery of the key so I asked its origins.

Robbie explained that years ago, he heard a speaker talk about life as a key.  A key works by a series of grooves cut into the metal, which correlate to a lock.  When the grooves of the key fit in the lock a door can be opened.  Robbie told me every decision we make is like a groove being cut in the key of our life.  Our decisions will determine what doors will open for us in the future and which will remain locked.  Upon further examination, I realized that the key Robbie wore was an uncut key.

Life comes with millions of decisions to be made.  Some decisions are smaller in scope and carry little impact on our life as a whole.  Ham Sandwich or Turkey Sandwich.  White or Wheat.  Mustard or Mayo or Both.  The consequences of these decisions will affect your lunch, but necessarily your life’s trajectory. 

However, there are some decisions, which appear small at first, but create a pattern that ultimately leaves a deep groove cut into the key of our life.  Take for example the college student.  I don’t want to study tonight.  I don’t want to study for this course.  I don’t want to take this course.  I don’t want to major in this field.  Small decisions build toward larger ones, which set us on a path to a destination.

Years ago, when I was considering a decision between entering the workforce and doing some post graduate education a friend gave me a pearl of wisdom that I hope to never lose.  They told me, “Never shut the doors that God may open for you in the future.”  They were right.  Taking the long view in life certainly guards us from short-circuiting our abilities to excel in years to come.  You have to cut the right grooves in your key today to open the doors you want tomorrow.

So what does your key look like?  What doors do you hope to open with it?  No matter where you are, there is still some span of time in front of you.  Make the most of the moment you have to day so you can live the life you desire tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment