Friday, November 18, 2011

Courageous – Part 2



We watch movies to be entertained.  Whether we sit in a theater with a hundred others in front of a massive screen or at home with a few family members in front of a DVD player, the goal is the same… be entertained.  For the most part, a movie has the power to transport you to another comedic moment or dramatic event which will last for about 2 hours.  Afterward, we think upon the story line for a fleeting few moments as we recount the movie’s events with others and then go about our lives.  Every once in a while, a movie impacts us in a greater way than just a moment or an evening.

Courageous was one of those impactful movies.  The story line of fathers working in harms way while struggling to find meaningful relationships with their sons was compelling.  It caused me (and many others who have viewed the film) to stop and think about what this really means for dads and sons.

Here are a few questions I’ve been chewing on as a dad since watching the movie.  I don’t have the answers yet.  My guess is that the answers to these questions will morph over time as my son continues to grow and change.  So I’ll just lay these questions out for each of us to consider.

How Should I Be Fighting For My Children?  The men of the film were fighting for their kids.  They were going against the grain of culture and popular opinion to give their children better opportunities.  They were guarding their children’s hearts and helping them navigate real life decisions.  My son is still young, but I’ve got to be ready to fight for his life and future as he matures.

What is More Important Than My Children?  The answer should be an easy one, right?  Aside from my relationship with God and my wife, there is nothing that should be more important.  And yet, as the movie displayed I can say my top priorities include my son, but live in total denial of that fact.  To put the question in another way, what are the things in my time and actions that I allow as a greater priority than my son?  What can I do to rearrange those priorities?

What am I Modeling?  As a dad, you are the primary male role model for your child.  Every other man will be measured against your standard in your children’s eyes.  Therefore, I’ve got to consider what kind of role model I am for my son.  Let’s rephrase the question… If my son grew up to be just like his dad, would I be okay with that?  If not, what changes do I need to make?

Who Is Holding Me Accountable?  The film portrays a group of men who gather to make a commitment to their family and hold each other accountable.  This was difficult at times for the men in the film, but it gave a realistic depiction of what accountability looks like.  Men need someone to ask them tough questions.  We need accountability from others, especially in the great calling of Fatherhood.

What Do I Need To Do To Be Courageous?  Self-examination and action are required to assume the role of becoming a courageous dad.  There have been a number of resources and books made available in recent days on the subject of being a courageous parent.  These are helpful tools to continue to challenge us toward courage in raising our kids.  In the end, it all comes down to my resolve as a dad to be courageous no matter the cost.  My son’s life is on the line.  What do I have to do today, tomorrow, and for the rest of my life to be a courageous dad?

Courage is not easy.  If it were, then each man would be described as heroic, but we know that this kind of description is worthy of precious few guys.  Even so, I want to be a courageous dad.  It doesn’t require perfection (thank the Lord).  But, it does mean giving it my best effort and top priority.  Courage is the calling for fathers.  It has been issued all across the country by this film.   Will you and I answer the call?

1 comment:

  1. Courageous is my favorite of the Sherwood Pictures Films! It definitely has a powerful message and challenges men at the end: Where are you men of Courage?! I pray that men in this country - and in the world, for that matter - will take this message to heart. If more men were courageous like the men in the movie, this world would be a much better place, and the message and love of Christ would permeate more hearts than ever before!

    ReplyDelete