Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Leftover ideas -- Don't throw them out!!!!


The turkey has been eaten, the dessert tasted (because let's face it....who has enough room in their stomach after eating all of that 'deliciousness' to eat some pie?), and your stomach is still stuffed from all the food you enjoyed yesterday!  There’s just one problem…  now your fridge is also STUFFED with tons of leftovers waiting to be eaten.  Now what?!?

I know of many people that really just don’t like leftovers of any kind.  Many in my own family, in fact!  Me?…. I’m a leftover girl!  I get so excited when I open the fridge at lunchtime and realize that instead of my usual ham and cheese sandwich there’s some leftover Chicken Pot Pie or Baked Ziti waiting for me!  It completely makes my day. (I know, I know…. it’s the little things, really!)

I’m just one person though, and although I might get THRILLED at the idea of having turkey, sweet potatoes, and green beans for lunches this next week, my family doesn’t share the same sentiment.  It was after hosting our own “Pre-Thanksgiving meal” years ago, and having nearly 8 POUNDS of turkey leftover, I became extremely creative with “re-creating our leftovers!”

Here’s just a few ideas to turn your leftovers into a delicious new dinner…. and chances are…your family won’t even know it’s leftovers!

Turkey Pot Pie -- It may sound silly, but use some of your leftover veggies from yesterday’s meal (carrots, celery, potatoes even!) and dump them in a pan along with some turkey!  I’ll include an actual recipe I’ve adapted, from an INCREDIBLE chef serving at a church in Florida below for you, but feel free to be creative based on what you have in your fridge!  Throw a new piecrust on top and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and voila!  A yummy…. “quasi-new” dinner!

Turkey Enchiladas – This is a BIG change up, but still tastes delicious! Take your usual enchilada recipe and exchange the chicken for your leftover turkey!  The change in taste is EXTREMELY minimal and you’ll be able to save big bucks by not having to purchase meat!

Turkey Noodle Soup – Similar to Pot Pie, this is a great chance for you to use up lots of leftover veggies!  Toss in some egg noodles, and canned chicken broth (to make it easy for you!), along with some turkey, and go ahead and bake a few biscuits in the oven to serve with it!  No one will even know it’s Thanksgiving leftovers and the yummy smell will penetrate your home causing everyone to come find out what you’re cooking in the kitchen!

Turkey Spaghetti – Ever had chicken spaghetti?  Just substitute the turkey for chicken and voila – delicious change-up ready super-quick!

Turkey Pizza – I haven’t tried this recipe before, but we make a lot of homemade pizza in our home so it sounds like a real winner!!  Again, get creative with the toppings you love to eat!  This recipe even includes leftover cranberry sauce giving it a sweet taste!


Now, the potpie recipe I promised…
(Just a little disclaimer…the chef would absolutely make his own piecrust, and probably stroke if he knew I made it using leftover turkey sometimes and make the adjustments I do.  He uses chicken, so I’ve included that in the recipe below.) 

Crust:
You can make your own…but I usually buy the refrigerated rollout crust you can buy near the butter in the grocery store….

Filling:
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 ½ - 2 cups milk
2 lbs chicken (I usually buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery and shred it myself to save some time!  For TGiving…use TURKEY!)
2 potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
1 carrot, thinly sliced (Steve doesn’t like peas, so we use 2-3 carrots instead!)
1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
½ pound of frozen peas (again, we don’t use these…but you should!) J
2 T. fresh parsley, chopped (yeah…. we usually just use whatever dried herbs I have on hand-- just less of them.  Rosemary, Thyme, etc.)
2 t. salt
½ t. black pepper
(I told you he would stroke!)

Directions:
Create the sauce for the potpie by melting the butter in a large saucepot.  Once melted, stir in the flour and cook over medium until it forms a light paste (called a roux).  Slowly whisk in the chicken stock, being sure to eliminate any lumps.  Next, add the milk and bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat and add the remaining ingredients.  (I usually sauté the veggies quickly in a pan to tenderize them a bit before dumping them in.)  Stir to combine.  Gently simmer 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat to begin the cooking process.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Add the mixture to a deep pie pan.  Roll out the dough and place over the pie dish to cover.  Then, if you have one available, break up an egg in a bowl with a fork and brush over the crust.  (Creating an egg wash – this will give it that beautiful golden brown color!)  With a knife, cut out a few vent holes in the crust to allow steam to escape.  Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.  Let it cool 10-15 minutes before serving to allow the filling to set!

No comments:

Post a Comment