Friday, September 16, 2011

Who are you cheering for?



Our home is filled with constant laughter.  Most recently, we’ve started laughing especially hard because our son has learned to “cheer” for himself whenever he does something right! 

We determined that in addition to disciplining him when he did something wrong, he would equally as much cheer for him when he did something great!  So for instance, if we asked him to step away from the coffee table and he did, we would clap our hands and cheer telling him that he made a wise decision!  As minor as it may seem, we clap and cheer for many things!  Choosing to eat that final bite of food, leaving our poor dog alone when asked, and helping to put away his toys at the end of the day are just a few of the times that we’ll find ourselves cheering for Caleb.  Recently, he has learned how fun it is to cheer for himself, so when he makes a “wise choice” we’ll watch him turn to us, bust out a smile that reaches ear-to-ear, and start clapping his hands, expecting us to join in with him!  Each time it makes us laugh to watch our son’s healthy self-esteem overwhelm his actions.

Last night I got to thinking about other relationships I held, specifically my husband, and I realized that I recognize and cheer for the accomplishments of my one year old, and often times don’t do the same for my husband.  My expectations for Steve are so much higher, and I’ve come to a place where I expect him to cut the grass, take out the trash, and empty the diaper genie.  Because I just expect him to do these things, I forget to take note of when they are done and I (many times!) completely miss the opportunity to stop and thank him for the help he was to me, in keeping our home picked up.  Sometimes I think that my life becomes such a whirlwind that I feel as though if I stopped to recognize his incredible help, I would end up not able to accomplish something else I need to do. -- Silly, I know!

I’ve resolved this morning, to try to start “cheering” for Steve more, and thanking him specifically for the things he does to make my life easier.  I may not clap my hands for him, and yell “Yay Steve!” as I do for little Caleb, but a simple word of “Thanks!” , and the occasional explanation of why it was an especially big help to me would go a long way…I’m sure of it!  Everyone likes to hear that what they do is making a difference.  Everyone likes to know that their efforts are being noticed.  

Why don’t you join me?  Let’s all spend the next week thanking our spouse, or anyone in your life that works hard to help you! Whether it is something simple like taking out the trash, or something huge that they have done purposefully to serve you, let’s try to take note of these things and fill our homes with praise and encouragement for those around us!  "Thank you" goes a long way....just watch and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment