Monday, September 19, 2011

Inspiring Health in the Workplace



This past November, the organization I worked for decided to do something outside the box.  Realizing that churches, corporations, and other organizations all across the country are bulging with employees who are over-weight and under-active my employers set out to do something about it.  They hosted the first-ever company heath fair.

I remember walking into the morning of required fitness with a less than positive attitude thinking about the long list of productive activities I could have been involved in.  Soon, the carnival like atmosphere began to break down the walls I put up in personal protest to the experience.  Some of the elements of the morning were…

·      Free 15 minute massages – with education on spinal care
·      Free pedometers to compete in month long step contest – with an emphasis on staying active
·      Free Body Mass Index (BMI) readings – helping you understand if you are over or underweight
·      Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Screening
·      Nurses on hand to give medical advice for office related ailments
·      Skin-cancer screenings
·      Insurance Benefit Advisers
·      And a lot more!

The morning was full of free (healthy) food and giveaways.  So here is the real question… did it inspire any change?  I cannot speak for everyone in the organization, but I know it inspired me.  During my Body Mass Index reading I realized for the first time that I was overweight… by a lot.  I knew that I was pushing it, but when they showed me on a chart where a healthy weight was I was shocked.

A nurse on-hand explained some of the complications she had personally seen with over-weight patients who came to her doctor’s office.  After our discussion, I was convinced a change needed to be made.  It was just the catalyst I needed to get me going on a successful weight-loss and fitness journey.

If you are responsible for a team in the workplace or even in the community, consider the influence that you may have in helping your people reach their personal fitness goals.  The results of healthier individuals can only benefit the whole team.  It could be a fun way to raise awareness, create health, and build better working relationships!  Start today!

Note: Many company insurance providers already have programs like the one described above in place.  Talk with your representative about it.  If you are lucky, they may even pitch in a little to offset the cost of a company-wide health fair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment