Wednesday, August 10, 2011

How to use what you read

   
Guest Post written by Dr. Mike Landry


Have you ever read a book and made a mental note to yourself that you want to be sure to remember a point for future use?  And, by the time you finished the book you had already forgotten what that point was?  Or what about that really good book you read a couple months ago…or even a couple years ago?  How in the world are you suppose to remember what you read; much less use and apply the many things you learn long after you read it?  And the more books you read, the harder it is to remember.

            I’ve got just the tip for you.  Years ago, I heard leadership guru, John Maxwell, say that he would immediately write in the back cover of the book he was reading the page number and theme of something that he wanted to be sure to remember.  I tried it and it really works.  Ever since that time I’ve been filling up the back covers, and sometimes more, with my notes and it has made a huge difference.  I’m able to refer to them years later.

            For example, back in 2005, I read The Three Success Secrets of Shamgar by Pat Williams and Jay Strack.  I can remember that the book drew success principles from the life of an obscure biblical character named Shamgar.  But what were those 3 important success secrets?  I can’t remember.  And what else did I think was important for me to use later?  It’s time to turn to the back cover page.

            I immediately spot the 3 success secrets that I jotted down (1.  Start where I am.   2.  Use what I have.   3.  Do what I can.)  Also, I notice a list of the 7 resources that everyone has to offer on pages 91-116.  In addition, there is a great quote on education by Einstein on page 100.  These and many other items are noted there.  Reading over the list is like scanning the book and highlighting the best parts in 30 seconds or less.  What a time saver and productivity prompter.

            Try it.  You’ll be glad you did.



Mike Landry is the Senior Pastor of Sarasota Baptist Church and one of the most effective communicators in our nation today.  See more about him and his church by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment