Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Family Fun - Week 3



When I was a teenager, I was in love with young kids!  Babysitting was the joy of my heart, and I eagerly looked forward to my weekends, because it meant that I got to spend hours having fun with little kids, and one family in particular completely stole my heart. 

I started babysitting Abbey, and Luke when Luke had just been born, and walked through life with those sweet kids for years.  I was there when they even added their 2 twin brothers into the mix!  I was so sad when I left for college, and knew that my treasured moments with them would be minimal, but loved the time I was able to spend with them!  We would go to the mall and ride the 25-cent rides, share chick-fil-a, and even see Santa together!  Such great memories!

One memory in particular, that I cherish, and will never forget, is the first time we took them, along with their family to a live nativity scene.  A local church in our area made an annual tradition of setting up a little manger scene, and filling it with what appeared to be several students in their ministry acting out the characters.  To an onlooker quickly passing by, it seemed to be no big deal, but to sweet little Luke, it was an early “A-ha moment.” 

We walked through the luminaries, leading the way to the manger, and upon arrival to the nativity scene we sat down in the grass and stared at Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus.  Watching it through little Luke’s eyes was precious, because as Luke saw Jesus for the first time in that manger, he looked at me, then at his family, then back at Jesus, and said “Awesome God!”

Luke got it.  He understood that it didn’t matter if it was a bunch of teenagers playing dress-up, and a doll baby rather than a real one, the picture being portrayed was one of our “Awesome God.”  He knew that this picture was one that would change our world forever…. truly, Awesome.

We’ve talked earlier this week, about being sure to make the main reason of Christmas (Jesus) shine through in your own heart.  Today, as we talk about a Family Tradition to begin in your own home, I want to encourage you to do just that.  Why not find a picture of a nativity scene, or going to a “live” one, and bringing your family.  Slow down from the hustle and bustle, and take some time to really concentrate on what Christmas is all about.  While there, remember to not just take them to see it, but in the car on your way back home (or wherever you’re headed), take some time to talk about what that baby in the manger really means.  Take the time to teach them about their “Awesome God.”

Have you brought your kids to see Santa yet?  How about making it a tradition to see the baby in the manger that has changed our world forever?  It’s nice to see a jolly old man in a red suit, but even better to see a picture of our “Awesome God.”  Go ahead and plan it!  You’ll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment