Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Family Fun – Week 2



“That is not for you, Mr. Browning”

These are the words that I hear every year when I go to take a cookie, tear off a piece of desert bread, or grab a homemade candy.  If I’m truthful, I know that these goodies are not for me but it is hard to control yourself when you have a plethora of Christmas treats all around you.  This is the scene in our home every Christmas.  Starting in early December our kitchen becomes a Christmas distribution center.

Admittedly, I am not the baker in our home.  I’m more like the kid at the end of the old “Shake N Bake” commercials.  I do my part and at the end announce – “And I Helped!”  The head chef at the Browning residence is none other than my wife Beth.  (I know… good looking and a brilliant cook?!? Some guys get all the luck!)  At this time of year, our little family gets baking so that we have a delicious treat for our neighbors, acquaintances, and others. 

Our little Christmas baking tradition serves a couple of purposes…

First: Family Baking Bonding Time.  If you don’t take yourselves too seriously in the kitchen this can be a really fun time.  You can talk, laugh, and enjoy some dedicated family time to doing a project together. You don’t have to be an expert baker.  (The first year we made sugar cookies.  That is the sources of the picture above.  Those were decorated by Beth… Somehow we lost the picture of the one’s I decorated.  Go figure.)  Just download a free recipe and have fun while you make it together.  Everybody can participate.  Beth oversees ingredients, I mix, Caleb pours in various ingredients, and the dog takes care of anything we drop on the floor.

Second: Sending Christmas Cheer to Those Who Are Near.  We’ve tried to make it a habit of dispersing our Christmas goodies to neighbors and acquaintances.  When I worked for Chick-fil-A I would bring in platters of cookies for my co-workers. We’ve trekked through the snow to bring loaves of Chocolate Chip Bread to new neighbors.  Bringing these treats to others is a good way to opening the door to some Christmas cheer and maybe even sharing the true meaning of Christmas with others.

WARNING: If you are going to give away something you bake, make sure it tastes good first.  In our home, I have the glorious burden of taste testing what goes out the door and into the lives/mouths of others.

So carve out some time this Christmas season to make some treats.  Your family, your neighbors, and your taste buds will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment