Monday, July 11, 2011

Two Motivating Questions...

 Just five short years ago I (Steve) was about to get married to the love of my life.  Each day I hit the gym trying to look good for the BIG day.  At the time, I was earning just above minimum wage so there was not a lot of temptation to buy up junk food or swing by a fast food restaurant.

Fast forward four years later… I had a beautiful wife, a son-on-the-way and 20+ extra pounds!  That may not seem like much to some reading this, but at more than a 5 lb. weight gain each year I was already over-weight and heading for the heartache of obesity soon, if something didn’t change. Through a series of circumstances, I became aware that I needed a new outlook on my eating and exercise habits.

Now, I have taken off every pound and have maintained a much healthier lifestyle.  There have been several keys to the journey that I’ll be sharing in upcoming posts.  Today, I want to share two key motivators that kept me going.  These two questions are hard, but powerful.  Perhaps they can help you as well!

1. Where will I be in a few years if I keep heading this way?  You are on a path of your own choosing.  Outside of the uncontrollable factors of disease and genetic disorders, your choices about what you eat and your level of activity are determining the future that will become your children and grandchildren’s reality. When it comes to your weight and health, where is your path taking you?

2. What opportunities will I miss if I don’t choose to be healthy today?  It could be playing with your kids.  It might be falling in love.  It may even be years of life.  When you say yes to unhealthy living, you may be saying no to a lot of good opportunities in life.  Ask yourself, what doors am I closing by living an unhealthy lifestyle? 

The path to a healthier you is through facing the hard reality of your present life.  Let your present discontentment be a positive motivator for change!

No comments:

Post a Comment